Search My Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Still Hanging in There

Sorry I have not wrote much lately. I really did not feel like writing for the past few days. My cycle is doing crazy things this time and I am down because I do not think this cycle is working. I have an appointment with Dr. Barnett on April 1; hopefully he will be able to tell us our next steps.

Yesterday, I had blood work to determine my progesterone levels. Dr. Rister called me this morning and said my progesterone levels were at a 5. Dr. Rister said it showed I ovulated and we will wait to see what happens. I did a little more research on what the level 5 means.

A progesterone test is done to confirm ovulation. When a follicle releases its egg, it becomes what is called a corpus luteum and produces progesterone. A level over 5 probably indicates some form of ovulation, but most doctors want to see a level over 10 on a natural cycle, and a level over 15 on a medicated cycle. There is no mid-luteal level that predicts pregnancy. Some say the test may be more accurate if done first thing in the morning after fasting.

The level 5 is not the greatest, since I was on medication, but at least I ovulated.  I am starting back on Prometrium today and hopefully in a week we will know something.

No comments:

Post a Comment